San Agustin Tucson Arizona
San Agustin Is The Presidio San Agustin del Tucson Or Fort Tucson
San Agustin Tucson refers to the Presidio San Agustin del Tucson or Fort Tucson. San Agustin Tucson was established in August 1775 by Hugo O’Conor. O’Conor was an Irish mercenary working with the Spanish at that time.
It is believed construction of San Agustin Tucson started the following May. The Tubac soldados and their families relocated north from Tubac sometime during October of 1776. The Fort Tucson was occupied by late October or early November of 1776. The first correspondence were written from Tucson by Col. Juan Bautista de Anza in November of 1776.
San Agustin Tucson was first built with a small earthen and wooden palisade. In 1783, after a heavy Apache attack, an eight to-twelve foot high adobe wall was constructed. The wall was around 700 ft long on each side and intended to add considerably more protection from future attachs. The San Agustin Tucson fort was continually modified because of the Indian wars. As the wars continued so did the size of San Agustin Tucson. It ultimately reached a size of approximately eleven acres.
The Center Of Tucson Arizona
The land enclosed in these walls sat in what is now downtown Tucson. San Agustin Tucson would be bordered by Church Street, Washington Street, and Congress and the banks of the Santa Cruz river. The Santa Cruz river was in fact a good size river at that time. From hills within San Agustin Tucson, one could see Sentinel Peak which is now called “A” Mountain.
El PresidoTucson was among the largest of the frontier presidios at that time. The San Agustin Tucson fort had torreons. Or Towers. The square or diamond shaped towers were then state of the are in defense. The Fort’s towers allowed personal to take defense positions along the walls. Similar square or diamond shaped towers can be found on many post-1772 presidios.
The Presidio remained in use until the Americans entered Tucson in March 1856. With the Americans arrival the walls were quickly taken apart soon after. The last standing segment of the wall would be torn down in 1918.
The History Uncovered
The archaeological excavation at the San Agustin Tucson site was completed in early 2006.
Today, a recreation of the orginal San Agustin Tucson offers a self-guided tours of what once was. The tour shows many of the features of the early fort including a ordnance room, the towers, commissary, and living space for soldiers and their families.
Questions about the Tucson Real Estate Market or Tucson Homes for Sale?
Call Us – 520 940 4541 OR complete the – CONTACT FORM – and we will get right back to you!